Spicy tuna fish curry or Kulhiriha is one of the tastiest curries Maldivians love to eat. It can be eaten with rice for lunch or dinner, or even for breakfast with rotis.
So here is my recipe for fish curry or Kulhiriha. Hope you will give it a try.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1tsp peeled ginger, finely grated
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 x 5cm pandan leaf
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- Pinch of fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 habanero chilli or to taste
- 200 g fresh tuna cut into 3cm cubes
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut milk powder, mixed with 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, curry leaves, pandan leaf and the chicken stock cube and fry for 5 – 6 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, fenugreek seeds and habanero. Cook for a few seconds, then add the tuna fish and salt. Cook for another 1 minute, add the water and tomato, stir everything together.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and the fish is cooked.
- Uncover, add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve.