Semolina pudding or suji is another favourite dessert for Maldivians during the month of Ramadan. It is usually accompanied with savoury finger foods or short eats like the traditional Maldivian fish cake or kulhi boakibaa.
I prefer the dessert a bit thicker but feel free to add more water and adjust the consistency according to your taste. As it cools down it will tend to be thicker so serve the drink warm. The onions when fried gives a sweeter taste, so don’t be put off by the idea of using onions in a dessert. This is an easy one pot dish . So please give the recipe a try!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 85g onion very thinly sliced or 1 medium onion (I use a mandolin)
- 5 green cardamom pods lightly bruised
- 1x5cm cinnamon stick
- 1×10 cm pandan leaf cut in to 5 pieces
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 50g or 1/3 cup fine semolina
- 3 cups water
- 100g or 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot.
- Add the onions, cardamom, cinnamon, pandan leaf, raisins and the almonds.
- Keep stirring on low to medium heat until the onions are golden and caramelised, the cardamoms and cinnamon stick is fragrant. The raisins should be plumped and the almonds golden and toasted.
- Remove them and keep aside on a plate.
- There will be a little bit of oil remaining in the pot, add the semolina and quickly toast the semolina for a few minutes on low heat.
- Add the water and mix well.
- Add the sugar and on medium heat cook stirring continuously.
- As soon as the mixture starts to thicken and comes to a boil, add the condensed milk.
- Cook for another minute or so then add all the reserved caramelised onions, spices, nuts and mix everything together.
- Take off heat and serve warm.
- For decorative purposes you could reserve a little bit of the caramelised onions and spices, nuts and raisins to sprinkle on the top of the serving dish, while mixing the rest with the pudding.
If you cook it please share it on Instagram and tag @nattulicious!