Yellow curry or Kiru Garudhiya is a simple yet tasty curry. You can use potato if you cannot get fresh moringa (drumstick pods). For this recipe I am using drumstick pods, which I bought from the local market. You can also find them at Asian grocers.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 x 5cm cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly bruised
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 x 5 cm pandan leaf
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 drumstick pods ( 360gm) peeled and cut into 10 cm pieces
- 1/4 cup smoked Maldive fish cut into slices or 1 tin (185g) tuna chunks drained
- 1/2 habanero chilli or to taste
- 1 medium tomato quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk powder dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
- Heat oil in a medium size pan.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, curry leaves, pandan leaf and the stock cube. Fry until onions are soft.
- Add cumin and turmeric powder. Stir well, add drumstick pods, fish, chilli, tomatoes, salt and water.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until the drumstick pods are soft about 30 minutes.
- Finally add the coconut milk, mix well and take off heat.
- Serve with rice.